Thursday, December 8, 2011

Portrait Photography - Part Four

In this, my next-to-last installment of this Digital Photography blog... I am still going to move on directly to the photographs.  In many cases, the photographs say more in one glance that I can in a paragraph or two.

David Hockney

The image above is markedly different than any others that I have posted on this blog, as Hockney makes use of photo collage and grids to make his portraits and other images.  I will admit that I do not find the end result of this process quite as pleasing in portraiture as I have in other genres of photography, but I think that Hockney has done an excellent job.  It comes out looking like a Cubist work, and certainly provides an interesting perspective on any subject.

Sally Mann

Known for taking pictures of her children before switching to landscapes as subjects, Mann is an interesting portrait photographer.  The above picture is absolutely charming, and the movement of the lower fabric on the dress is very attention-grabbing.  The tonal range of the piece is stunning, but what really makes this photograph special is the focus.  the focus is not on the child, but rather the dress.  It is interesting to keep the focus on what the subject is wearing, rather than the person, creates some separation while still allowing the viewer to feel present in the scene.
 
-Kelly F. 

No comments:

Post a Comment